07/03/2019 | Chester, NY
US Director of Medical Affairs is a trusted and credible medical/scientific expert who provides relevant, reliable and unbiased scientific information to meet the unique needs of our customers and their patients, while maintaining alignment with company clinical and medical strategies. The Director manages key relationships with relevant healthcare providers and societies (including patients, providers, and purchasers); builds strategic partnerships with policy makers, advocates, and thought leaders; oversees the development, coordination, communication, and implementation of innovative educational strategies and tactics; acts as the primary point of contact with key patient advocacy groups and internal stakeholders; and, generally serves as an extension of the Vice President, Medical Affairs
Essential Job Functions
- Be a trusted and credible partner to customers for relevant scientific and medical information, esp. pertaining to disease states and the respective Company system solutions (including both currently marketed and pipeline products).
- Ensure full customer understanding and share the Company’s ambition to advance the standard of care in selected disease states; and enhancing customer confidence in making the best near- and long-term clinical decisions for patients.
- Tailor discussions to provide topical, credible, and unbiased scientific/clinical information, while keeping what is “top of mind” for customers—including the ability to meet the unique needs of customers while supporting the Company’s vision and ambition to advance the state of the art and the standard of care in relevant disease states.
- Focus on building long-term and valued customer relationships. Be rapidly responsive as well as proactive when establishing, fostering, developing, and maintaining those relationships to cultivate company/product advocates.
- Give input to, and own thoughtful engagement plans and meticulously prepare for every interaction with relevant resources and insightful questions, while being dynamic and flexible as needed.
- Stay up to date with therapy advances, current research, and medical/scientific knowledge, including detailed knowledge of Company products & relevant disease states. Extract and share high value medical insights that help shape the Company’s medical and clinical strategy.
- Stay aware and on top of the healthcare and access landscape—understanding how it impacts the customer behaviors and clinical practices.
- Be open and alert in customer interactions/engagement to medical insights that can inform the Company’s strategies for both currently marketed and pipeline products.
- Market development issue identification through internal and external advocacy engagement; bring the understanding and perspective of the patient, provider and purchaser into Medical decision making; develop overarching strategic plan and philosophy around external engagement and collaboration; assess health care market place dynamics and impact to patients, providers, purchasers and the Company; develop, support, deploy strategic advocacy campaigns and ensure that strategic plans align with overarching Medical goals; drive presence at relevant external organization events and meetings and share key learnings; strategically fund projects, programs, and education that support engagement of patients, providers, and purchasers.
- Capture and report the medical insights using designated software systems with the highest level of consistency and accuracy to help inform the medical and clinical strategies and provide additional context useful to the interpretation of those insights.
- Collaborate in a compliant manner with Company stakeholders, particularly with the Commercial organization.
- Have a strong understanding of industry rules, legal guidance and a desire to follow a compliance and ethical path.
- Have the clarity of mind and the depth of understanding around compliance guardrails to allow for compliance empowered interactions. Be able to make the right judgment calls in the moment.
- Ensure the medical insights are captured through the cross functional account planning. Be responsive and add value to the collaboration around key accounts.
- Be seen by colleagues as a solution-driven conduit to leaders in the health care community.
- Contribute to the brand planning process by applying extensive knowledge of disease states, competitive environments, and customer needs.
- Support R&D and commercial colleagues from a clinical development perspective while staying true to the non-promotional nature of the role. Be a “partner in the trenches,” engaging often and in person.
- Lead and deliver complex activities with customers to further enhance the Company’s reputation as a trusted and valued partner.
- Establish and maintain excellent educational collaboration with customers, other investigators, and key health care institutions to build outstanding disease state/product education and medical scientific service and support.
- Creatively leverage multichannel opportunities.
- Navigate office resources and collaborate with field and non-field colleagues to deliver against the Company engagement plans, while bringing high value to customers.
- RPh/PharmD, MD/DO, PhD with a minimum of 8-10 years of previous experience in the pharmaceutical, biotech, device or diagnostic industry; minimum of 5 years in advocacy relations is preferred.
- Demonstrates a deep passion for medicine, science and clinical development; is a subject matter expert (SME) in their technical area; has a solid base knowledge of the entire Company portfolio to engage in preliminary thoughtful and compliant scientific exchange before referring in other Company SMEs.
- Communicates clearly, confidently, and credibly; easily understands other points of views and responds appropriately; listens with empathy to respond to current and future needs and adjust the communication according to the audience.
- Exhibits marked curiosity about healthcare and business opportunities; challenges the status quo and experiments to create new possibilities; is resilient and navigates through ambiguity with determination to innovate; demonstrates a potential to perceive and engage in new opportunities for collaboration; develops solutions quickly to take advantage of emerging opportunities; takes calculated risks and learns from failure.
- Able to travel at least 60% of the time, including ability to travel overnight and occasionally in weekends.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Extremely detail orientated and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Must be a self-starter, efficient, with the ability to multi-task.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Work with little oversight.
- Demonstrate great teamwork and ability to adjust to constantly changing environment.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position. Therefore employees assigned may be required to perform additional job tasks required by the manager.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
RMS Medical Products provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
All positions offer opportunity for advancement. If you have the skills and are seeking a challenging growth opportunity, please e-mail your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com or fax to 845-469-5518.
RMS offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical, dental, LTD and 401(k).